Tip to Survive the Spring
We are well and truly seeing the signs of spring in the air; brighter evenings, warmer weather and even the occasional appearance of the sun in the sky! After the challenges of the last year, spring is a welcome release from the cold and dark winter days. However, if you suffer from allergies you may not be as pleased to see the change in season.
As pharmacists we are well versed in how allergies can affect different people in different ways and how severely affected some of our patients can be. So, we have compiled our top tips to help you spring into the new season and manage allergies and their effects this spring time.
- If your airways are affected by allergies, Salt therapy is an excellent solution to try.
Many people suffer from a constant runny nose, sneezes, itchy teary eyes, and recurrent cough, which can really affect your sleep. Salt therapy and the Salin Plus device is a natural therapy that many of our customers swear by. The salt particles break up the mucus plugs in your airways and sinuses, allowing more space for air to flow through. In addition, this results in less sleep disturbance as air tends to flow freely during sleep. It releases discomfort and flushes out the triggers for allergies.
- If you are allergic to pollen and suffer from hay fever make sure you sleep with the windows closed and avoid drying clothes outside on a clothesline. Pollen spores are transferred in the air and can stick to clothing so wash your face and change your clothes when you come home from any extended period outside.
- If your allergies affect the skin you may suffer from constant dryness, itchy and irritated skin and even a rash. Allergens can penetrate the skin’s protective layer when the skin is dry and the barrier is impaired. To prevent those allergens getting beneath the skin it is essential to implement an emollient routine for anyone who suffers from allergies. We recommend moisturising every day, regardless of the current state of the skin to prevent dryness. An emollient that you will use and enjoy using is the right one for you. Consistency is key here. One of our favourites can be used by the entire family from birth! The Lipikar AP+ contains an anti-irritant that will soothe and will also help restore the skins barrier.
4. If you suffer from irritation and inflammation on any areas of the face it is important to include an SPF in your routine, it will protect from the very harmful UV rays that will further irritate the skin. Keep your skincare very simple, choose a gentle cleanser and a soothing day treatment like the Toleraine Ultra Cream from La Roche Posay. The ingredients neurosensine, glycerin, shea butter and La Roche Posay’s Thermal Spring Water will instantly soothe and moisturise irritated skin.
5. If you have an inflammatory skin condition, are wearing a face covering or for those shaving the face a hydrating, moisturising and soothing mist is really useful to use throughout the day to boost the skin’s comfort and moisture levels. Toleriane Ultra 8 Mist contains glycerin, Allantoin and La Roche-Posay Thermal spring water so it hydrates on application and soothes skin instantly.
Allergies should not hold you back from enjoying the optimistic spring season. If you suffer from allergies and you want advice on medicines contact one of our pharmacists at Stratus Healthcare Pharmacy our helpline 1850 940 800 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.